It's not often that I feel upbeat when I'm on a tear of shifts. The last two months have been insanely busy at work. When I took this picture I was on my way into a night shift after working 84 hours in the previous seven days and still had two more 2 hour night shifts to go. But walking out of the Starbucks I had a brief moment of levity. The temperature was in the mid-50s and the air was crisp. The chill enters your nostrils and it opens your olfactory system and wakes up your senses. At that moment I had a few realizations hit me at the same time.
- I've got a wonderful Wife and Daughter at home, in our amazing home.
- It's almost December and I am wearing a zip up sweater.
- I will only need to add a scarf, hat and gloves to this ensemble to make it through the winter.
- Everything is getting greener and more alive instead dying like they would be in the Midwest.
- I forget this from when I first moved here, but it smells like flowers everywhere. You get acclimatized to it and you don't notice it after a while. But the chill brought that back in all it's glory.
- All told, I am living a very good life!